Thursday, August 23, 2012

No human race is superior. No religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them.

First, they came for the Anglicans.
I said nothing because I wasn't an Anglican.

Then, they came for the Sunnites.
I said nothing because I wasn't a Sunnite.

Then, they came for the Baptists.
I said nothing because I wasn't a Baptist.

Then, they came for the Orthodox Jews.
I said nothing because I wasn't an Orthodox Jew.

Then, they came for the Shiites.
I said nothing because I wasn't a Shiite.

Then, they came for the Daoists.
I said nothing because I wasn't a Daoist.

Then, they came for for the Hindus.
I said nothing because I wasn't Hindu.

Then, they came for the Sikhs.
I said nothing because I wasn't a Sikh.

Then, they came for the Animists.
I said nothing because I wasn't an Animist.

When they finally came for Catholics like me,
none remained to speak for us.

-----

The article is an adaptation of Martin Niemoller's "First They Came..." speech. The title is a quote from Elie Wiesel.

No comments:

Post a Comment